To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R8
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 22:44 BST-1
Cc: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk

Glenn Thrall writes:

[snip]
> I probably will do so in the very near future. The F4s is a fine
> machine, but it just isn't fun. Now that sounds strange ... however
> after I retired from the rat race I found I didn't need a zillion bells
> and whistles. I enjoy photography, but I don't enjoy having a machine
> make decisions for me.

A case for the F3, then, surely, especially if you've a few Nikkors?

> When my wife called some of her relatives in Germany today ... I
> thought, now's the time! Unfortunately, it appears Leica gear runs more
> in Germany than it does in the United States (due to their VAT).

Don't forget that if you buy a camera anywhere within the EU as a
'personal' export, then you don't pay the VAT. Of course you'll have to
come here to get it (your wife's relatives couldn't buy it for you and
get that benefit) which would make it uneconomic unless you planned to
come anyway, but it's quite straightforward.

Many of the camera shops in London are quite familiar with the process,
especially for US citizens.

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  "The loss of an old man
(+44) 181 450 5459               |  is like the destruction
Flat 3, 11 Kingscroft Road,      |  of a library"
Kilburn, London NW2 3QE          |

Replies: Reply from "Glenn Wm. Thrall" <gthrall@ix.netcom.com> (Re: R8)