To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: question re construction of Novoflex follow-focus mount adaptor
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 01:15:02 -0400

I was wondering if someone on the list who knows something about the
construction of the long Novoflex lenses with the follow-focus grip
might be able to help me with a question.

About two months ago, I bought one of these used.  It had a Canon FD
mount on it, marked "CANA".  The mounts are supposed to be
interchangeable.  I contacted Calumet, the Novoflex distributors in
the United States.  After some number of faxes back and forth between
them and the factory in Germany, for which I had to privide them
various numbers and so on that were on the lens, they settled on a
part, the LEA-R adapter ring, and I ordered it.

Now, what I am able to remove from the mount end of the follow-focus
grip is a rather complicated little tube about 2.5" (6.35 cm) long.
It includes at one end the part marked CANA, with the Canon FD mount,
which is attached by some means I cannot quite determine (but see
below) to the main body of the tube.  This main body consists of two
parts attached so that one can rotate 90 degrees about the axis of the
lens, with detents at each extreme, so that the camera body can easily
be rotated from portrait to landscape orientation on the follow-focus
grip.  The other end of the tube has a bayonet mount with ring for
fitting the tube to the follow-focus grip.

Two months after I ordered it, my LEA-R adapter ring has arrived.  It
is a smaller piece than the tube I described above; it looks like it
might replace only the part marked CANA.  At one end of the LEA-R
adapter is a Leica R bayonet mount, and at the other end is another
bayonet mount, this one with a cut out of one of the bayonet lugs, at
the inside of the tube, parallel with the axis of the lens.
Unfortunately, I can see no way to remove the CANA adapter from the
rotating tube I described earlier, and the adapter came from Novoflex
without any instructions.

I can't tell whether in fact I have been shipped the wrong part, one
which will not fit my lens, or whether it can be fitted by some means
not known to me.  I can only see one possibility for this to be the
right part.  The cut I mentioned earlier in one of the bayonet lugs
seems to also be present in the CANA part: it can be seen on the
inside of the tube.  A small stainless-steel pin is visible in it.  If
this pin is spring-loaded, then possibly it can be withdrawn and the
CANA can be rotated and released from the rest of the tube.
Unfortunately, I see no evidence that the pin can be withdrawn unless
some relief remains between it and the end of the cut on the bayonet
lug, in which case I might be able to construct a tool with which to
pull it down -- if it is spring-loaded.  I don't see any evidence that
the pin can be withdrawn in any other way.

Anybody on the list have any idea what's going on here?  I would be
very grateful for suggestions.

-Patrick Sobalvarro