To: Leica users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: View/-rangefinder with 135 lenses
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 96 14:50:00 EDT
Encoding: 25 TEXT

In reference to the original mailing stating a preference for a Hasselblad
with 250mm to the 135/2.8 on an M, I'd like to offer the following
experiences:

* I think you might be right on the issue of weight.  The 135/2.8 & M seem
pretty massive (dense?) compared to my 250/5.6, 503cx, A12, and PME51.
 Still, the maximum aperture of the 135 is two stops faster (unless you've
got the 250/4), the M doesn't have the 6x6 mirror and other mechanicals
flailing about, doesn't black out the viewfinder (until film advancement
with the 6x6), and is somewhat quieter.  The mass might be a factor in
helping reduce some shake.  I have difficulty holding the 6x6 in less than
favorable lighting conditions which for me negates any advantage of using
the medium format.

* Size - obviously.  The 135/2.8 & M are more portable in the luggage I
happen to have with me on any given day.

So, I guess I'd still recommend trying the 135/2.8.  Admittedly it's a less
than ideal solution but might have other redeeming benefits if it can be
made to work for you.

 - Kevin

kburke@iterated.com