To: "'leica-users'" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re:M6 - whirring noise
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 10:01:00 EDT
Encoding: 39 TEXT

Yes absolutely!  I've found the sound of a properly functioning M shutter
has a unique
signature and if you listen to enough of them (I'm easily amused) it is
possible
to estimate a shutter's state of health when buying an older body.  Speeds
between 1/1000 & 1/250 give a single "snik"; at 1/125 some folks just start
detect two independent "sniks"; at 1/60 & 1/50 the opening and closing
"sniks"
are distinct; 1/30 & 1/15 usually have a slight "swishing" after the second
curtain
closes; and 1/8 to 1 second gives the "whirring".

When comparing an M3 #104xxxx with an M6 #16xxxxx they both display these
characteristics more or less.  The timbre of the M3 is lower and sounds a
little quieter
(just "tuned" up by Don Goldberg - maybe he's very good at such shutter
sounds).
I suspect the M3's weight and materials are responsible for the difference.

;-)

 - Kevin

kburke@iterated.com