To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: View/-rangefinder with 135 lenses
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 19:31:33 -0700

Curt Miller wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I am considering purchasing an M3 because it appears that the 135 framelines
> is a larger portion of the entire viewfinder field and the magnification of
> the viewfinder is closer to 1:1 than the 72% lifesize image of the M4-P.
>
> Anyone (including Marc) have any thoughts/advice on the subject?
>
> Thanks friends,
>
> Curt

A lot of people have got used to using the smaller 135 frames of the
later M's.  If they are satisfied with it, fine, whatever works.   I
guess a lot depends upon how often you use the 135.

If you use it a LOT, I would suggest either the M3 or the l35/2.8 with
eyes and larger image size.   I personally am not a fan of the separate
finder of any type on a Leica because of the parallax problem.  I find
having to focus and then change the focus distance from the lens to the
finder a real pain and time waster.  Again, though, this would be a
function of how often you use the l35.  If you seldom use it, the bother
could easily be worth it to you.

If you choose a separate finder, the best ones are the bright lines by
Leitz, Nikon, and Canon.  The most inexpensive of this lot is the Canon,
selling often at 1/2 or less of the other two.   The Nikon and Canon
brightlines are easily recognized because they are all black---the
others are chrome.

On a side note, its a real shame that Leica never incorporated the
automatic parallax corrected finder feature found in the Canon
V/VT/L-1,2,3/VI,VI-L, VL-1,2,3.  These camera had a wonderful coupling
pin in the hot shoe which changed the parallax of the finder
AUTOMATICALLY as you focused.  Make sure you do not get one of these
finder for your Leica since it has NO manual parallax correction.

You might find that the M3 has another great advantage seldom written
about.  You can easily use the camera with BOTH EYES OPEN, focusing with
your right eye.  This allows a greater view of the picture area and also
greatly reduces eye fatigue after hours of shooting.

Stephen Gandy