To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: View/-rangefinder with 135 lenses
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 12:42:53 +0800 (SGT)

>I am working on a documentary project and will need to spend a bit more time
>behind the 135mm framelines of my M4-P with 135/4 Tele-Elmar-M attached.
>For those of you who have had this wonderful experience, you will understand
>my lack of joy at the very thought of spending much time in this
>circumstance.  The portion of the total viewfinder image represented by the
>135 framelines is such a small fraction that it is VERY difficult to frame
>an image and focus the lens.
>
>I am considering purchasing an M3 because it appears that the 135 framelines
>is a larger portion of the entire viewfinder field and the magnification of
>the viewfinder is closer to 1:1 than the 72% lifesize image of the M4-P.
>Years ago I had an M3 and 135 Hecktor (a gorgeous piece of glass if you ask
>me) and can't remember having any difficulties either framing an image or
>focusing the lens with the combination.  For those who might suggest the
>135/2.8, I would add that I have done this, too.  I might as well carry my
>Hasselblad with the 250mm for the scant bit of weight I'd be saving!  I also
>suppose I could get an M4-2 (because they're cheaper) and have M3 framelines
>put in - but at what cost?
>
>Anyone (including Marc) have any thoughts/advice on the subject?
>
>Thanks friends,
>
>Curt

Permit me to give my 2 cents worth on this vexing frameline business.  I
recently bought a Canon 135/3.5 lens with SM-M adapter and I have been using
it on my M6 and I can understand how you feel.

Initially I was disturbed by the small 135 frame lines that I had to get
used to.  But when the photos came back, I was pleasantly surprised that the
rangefinder did a very accurate job in focussing in spite of some shots
being  shot at wide open f3.5 and hand held at 1/15 sec.   Credit must be
given to Leitz for their fine construction and balance of their M cameras.

After a while it also became apparently that I was no longer perturbed by
the small frame lines.  I have been shooting my wife's pet parrot :) and the
sharpness and picture framing that I am achieving is incredible.

I could get a bigger image with an M3 but I hate to lose the TTL metering in
the process.

Hope this helps.

Dan Khong