To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: View/-rangefinder with 135 lenses
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 21:48:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

I am working on a documentary project and will need to spend a bit more time
behind the 135mm framelines of my M4-P with 135/4 Tele-Elmar-M attached.
For those of you who have had this wonderful experience, you will understand
my lack of joy at the very thought of spending much time in this
circumstance.  The portion of the total viewfinder image represented by the
135 framelines is such a small fraction that it is VERY difficult to frame
an image and focus the lens.

I am considering purchasing an M3 because it appears that the 135 framelines
is a larger portion of the entire viewfinder field and the magnification of
the viewfinder is closer to 1:1 than the 72% lifesize image of the M4-P.
Years ago I had an M3 and 135 Hecktor (a gorgeous piece of glass if you ask
me) and can't remember having any difficulties either framing an image or
focusing the lens with the combination.  For those who might suggest the
135/2.8, I would add that I have done this, too.  I might as well carry my
Hasselblad with the 250mm for the scant bit of weight I'd be saving!  I also
suppose I could get an M4-2 (because they're cheaper) and have M3 framelines
put in - but at what cost?

Anyone (including Marc) have any thoughts/advice on the subject?

Thanks friends,

Curt

Elizabeth Mei Wong
Henry Curtis Miller
Christopher P.E. Miller

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
In the Berkshires, next door to Tanglewood

Replies: Reply from Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net> (Re: View/-rangefinder with 135 lenses)