To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Information/opinion regarding Leica M5
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 19:51:21 -0700

4020 wrote:

> Please give me your opinion toward the Leica M5 cameras.
> I have not seen one for sale or talk about on the net.
>
> Are they dependable cameras?
> Are they collectible?
> What would be a going price for a mint minus condition?

The M5 offers some unique features in the Leica system.  Whether they
are good or bad depends upon your own preferences, not objective fact.

1) a larger body.  If you have large hands, the M5 might easily be the
most comfortable M for you.

2) shutter speeds visible in the finder.  No other M offers this
feature, unless you count the compact CL and the Minolta CLE.

3) the most convenient shutter speed dial.  By extending it over the
edge, it can be changed more quickly and easily--at least in my
opinion--than the other dials.

4) the best camera mount system.  The 3 lug M5's, by which you can hang
the camera vertically are great as far as I am concerned.   Its too bad
they did not keep that idea.

5) the smallest spot metering.   whether this is better or  worse
depends upon your own metering habits and needs.

Its weaknesses are:

1) not all lenses are usable with its TTL system, notably the early 21's
and 28's.

2) not the most dependable metering system, yet hardly the worst
either.  the mechanical complexities certainly make it less reliable
than the M6,  yet it is still relatively dependable even though it may
need attention now and then.

3) price.  over the last 2 years or so, the M5 was discovered by the
Japanese collectors   Worn but not abused bodies usually sell for
$1200-1500.   Mint- examples (conservatively graded) usually sell for
about $2,500.

Since the M5 is more expensive than the M6 on the used market, the M6 is
a better buy as a user.  On the other hand, if you can pick one up at a
bargain rate, enjoy it.

Stephen Gandy