To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Summilux-M 50/1.4 optical characteristics?
From: Roger Flanigan <istr1848@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 15:44:30 -0700

joe b. wrote:

> If anyone could give any opionions of the optical virtues and vices of
> the 50mm Summilux-M in its various incarnations (2 I think) it would be
> helpful.

RE: The current version of the M-50/1.4 Summilux

In their June 1996 report of Leica M-lens test results, the independent
test lab BAS stated "Already at full aperture, sharpness and  contrast
are exceptional with this high-speed photojournalistic lens. Flare is
also extremely low, even when a point light source is in the image.
Especially remarkable are its neutral color reproduction and precise
tonal separation."
They rated the optical performance at 94 out of 100. Mechanical
performance scored even higher at 98 out of a possible 100.
Copies of the new BAS Report for M and R lenses are available through
Leica UK in Milton Keynes.

Hope this proves helpful.

Cheers!

Roger Flanigan