To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Your considered opinion of Leica projector
From: Roger Flanigan <istr1848@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 21:53:24 -0700

TONY GALT wrote:

> 1) What is your opinion of this projector and the lens it comes with?

The P150 is Leica's "entry-level" projector. It is a nice compact
machine, well designed and quite reliable. The Hektor lens is OK but I
would recommend replacing it with the Leica 90mm/2.8 Colorplan-P2.

> 2) Do you know if I could use my old Pradolux 100 mm Dimaron lens in it.

I am not familiar with that particular lens but it's doubtful that it
would work with the P150. The P150 is produced in the old Zett projector
factory in Braunschweig, Germany which Leica purchased several years
ago. This is the same factory which produced the Zeiss-Ikon Perkeo
projectors. Rather than re-tool, Leica decided to continue with the
Zett/Zeiss-Ikon designs which had a different back-focus. Thus, the
P150, P300, and P600 projectors require the use of lenses that have the
"P2" designation. The rear element in these lenses is almost flush with
the end of the barrel, while Leica's "P" lenses have a recessed rear
element. BTY - The Pradolux RT-300 was not made by Leitz but by Singer
(the sewing-machine people).

> 3) How does this product compare to a Kodak Carousel or a Reflecta?

The P150 is superior in every respect to both the Kodak Carousel and
Reflecta machines. It has a more accurate transport system (less
jamming) and it will accept high-quality Leica lenses. The other parts
of the optical system (condensors etc.) are also superior to those found
in the Kodak or Reflecta, resulting in higher image quality. You should
also consider the new Kindermann "Silent" projectors. They have a new
ventilation system which is so quiet it's nearly inaudible and they are
compatible with the Leica "P" lenses giving you better quality and a
greater range of focal-lengths. They are also more appealing
appearance-wise. The US distributor for Kindermann is Argraph Corp.

Hope this makes your decision easier.

Roger Flanigan

PS - The name Leitz is no longer used. They stopped using this name for
business purposes in 1986 when the last member of the Leitz family
retired and the company was re-organized. The name "Leica" is now used
exclusively for everything from cameras and microscopes to surveying
equipment.