To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Your considered opinion of Leica projector
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 18:04:30 PST

** Reply to note from TONY GALT <galta@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU> Sat, 31 Aug 1996 18:17:36 -0500 (CDT)

> 1) What is your opinion of this projector and the lens it comes with?

I own one, and use it for lectures and such. Great little projector.
Bright in smallish type settings and very light and compact. A
Tamrac-made case for it is wonderful. The lens is sharp, but it's no
P2000!

> 2) Do you know if I could use my old Pradolux 100 mm Dimaron lens in it.

No, it's lens is fixed. No interchanges.

> 3) How does this product compare to a Kodak Carousel or a Reflecta? The
> Reflecta seems to be the most directly comparable machine on the market
> because it takes the same European style slide trays, but costs quite a
> bit less. I looked at one today in a local shop and it looked like a
> well-designed machine. Is the Leitz better? Unfortunately, no dealer up
> here in the north woods carries the Leitz projector line for me to look over.

I would go with the Leica. It's optics are Leica optics (i.e. good). I
don't know abou thte Reflecta, but Leica always puts a special treatment
of some sort in the light path that reduces the heat form the lamp before
it hits the slide, so the slide doesn't fade faster from overexposure to
IR light.

I recommend it highly to anyone who isn't into mulitmedia or long
projection distances.

> Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide
>
> Tony Galt

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR