To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Summilux-M 50/1.4 optical characteristics?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 23:27:01 -0400

The basic Summarit design is simply a coated version of the older
Leitz/Schneider/TTH Xenon design of the 1930's;  the first version of the
1.4/50 Summilux-M is, likewise, a Summarit in an updated mount.  These are
not mean lenses, by any means, and I've liked all that I've owned.

The second version of the Summilux -- from s/n 1844001 onwards -- though is
one super lens.  I've owned a LOT of fast normal lenses in my time, and only
the CZJ 1.5/50 Sonnar provides like contrast, resolution, and saturation
wide open.  The Summilux is one fine lens.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!