To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica SLR, why bother?
From: zapcomix@silcom.com (ClaudeBatmanghelidj)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 07:48:44 -0700

 why are you wasting
>the time of the folks on the Leica Users List with your
>comments?
>
>Do something positive... go sign up on the Mamiya list
>Godfrey

Well, I guess I wanted to stir up a different discussion.  I'm glad I said
what I did, because apparently, according to our resident experts, Leica
does in fact make some excellent lenses for its SLR line.  I did not know
this.  I figured they'd be pretty good, but surely no match for the M
stuff.  All I know is that, having shot pictures through the 50 summicron
on my old M6, the optics are like nothing I had ever seen before.  The
pictures have a crisp almost three dimensional feel to them.  The Mamiya 6
is like a kind of scaled up M6, with the drawback of smaller apertures on
the lenses.  Anyway, not being able to afford both I sold my M6 to get the
Mamiya.  I know that was probably enough to have me burned at the stake
here!

        As far as what am I doing here?  I am a fan of Leica, and
interested to find out more.  And if anyone resents me being here as a
non-owner or user, then feel free to loan me one of your spare Leicas and
that will not be an issue anymore.  As it is, I have not even put a roll of
film through my Mamiya yet, I've been too busy working.  The last film I
shot, was at the Solstice parade in Santa Barbara.  That was with a Canon
F1, and an 85mm L lens.  It would have been interesting to see how the
shots would have come out with a Leica R.  I will rent one soon and try it
out.

        BTW, is there really a Mamiya List?

                                        Claude.