To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leica SLR, why bother?
From: zapcomix@silcom.com (ClaudeBatmanghelidj)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 21:16:34 -0700

I thought the only "real" Leica was an M.  I thought the superiority of the
optics was largely a matter of the design possibilities that a rangefinder
allows.  I mean if you are going to shoot SLR, why not Contax or Nikon?
And then if you must shoot Leica SLR, it would seem that an SL or SL 2
would be the only way to go. You know, German through and through, not some
Jap/German hybrid, which is neither fish nor fowl.  That's from my limited
observation.  I personally would never spend the kind of cash that's needed
for a current R series.

        Even the Leica M-6 is over priced.  It's an excellent camera and
the optics are unsurpassed, but it's far from perfect. I sold mine and
bought a Mamiya 6.  I don't have enough cash for both.  I'm doing it out of
curiosity.  That's the same reason I bought the M-6.  Some day if I ever
become wealthy enough, I will get another Leica.  But for now I am going to
explore MF.

                                                        Claude.