To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: leica and APS
From: Mark_Bishop@ipc.co.uk (Mark Bishop)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 15:16:45 +0100

I know I risk being drummed out of LUG but here goes...

IMHO this APS format is not at all bad. Why? Because it identifies a
quantifiable need and serves it well at a decent return to the manufacturers.
This surely, is the definition of any profitable product or company, including
Leica itself.

The vast majority of people in the developed world own a camera, which they will
replace very few years. Primarily their requirement is for a small camera that's
easy to use, produces minimal 'duds' and delivers acceptable to good quality on
a 6x4in enprint. Even those of us who are keen amateurs or professonals probably
have the same priorities when we're 'off-duty'.

Just last week I took the plunge and bought a Canon IXUS (I believe it's called
ELPH in the States) APS camera. Sure, at 6x4in it is not quite as good as the
Nikon and not as good as my M6, but it is more than adequate. And yet, at a
third of the weight and about half the size, it is much more likely to find its
way to that company awards dinner, my nephew's birthday party etc, giving me a
picture where otherwise, none would have been available.

Sure, when I'm travelling my requirement is for a robust, lightweight camera
with a fast semi-wide lens, full exposure control and exceptional image quality,
ideally not battery dependent. For me, the Leica M6 and 35 1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
serve this need better than any other kit I can think of - which is why I have
no intention of parting with it.

As the late and much lamented (by me, at least) Victor Blackman used to write in
his weekly column in Amateur Photographer, 'it's horses for courses'. Leica
probably won't get into APS because it is contrary to their image and the dealer
network they've built up, just as Halina is unlikely to build a metal-bodied
professional 35mm rangefinder. As long as there are people queueing up to buy
both (and I had to wait a fortnight and pay list price for my IXUS), both will
prosper.