To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Re: Leica and APS
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 08:19:20 -0700

At 10:27 AM 7/8/96 GMT, you wrote:

>- At this time, 35mm (that has been invented by Leica) was not a
>professionnel format. It was too small compared to 6*9.
>20 years after, 35mm is considered as a professional format.

True, but even back in the "good old days" Andre Kertesz, and others, used
to make prints from 35mm Leica images and send them to publishers, and not
let them see the negatives, because they were "too small." But they loved
the prints.

Ansel Adams congratulated Peter Stackpole for getting a large format camera
when he shot the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge construction. Stackpole
shocked him when he told him it was Leica.

>- At the present time, Leica is buying APS format.

No big deal. APS won't work in an M6. It wouldn't know what to do with it.
<G> Not to mention it wouldn't fit.

>- Contrary to the old toys format (disk etc...) APS is born from  an
>agreement of the biggest leaders in photography.

They had to, to make processors spend $100,000 on new film processors. 126
was the same width as 35mm. And continuous processors can handle it. Disc
film was a major investment. So after being burned on buying a bunch of new
equipment - some very expensive to read magnetic media - on disk film, I
have my doubts they will be that enthusiastic. Maybe Kodak and others have
already gotten over the hurdle though, before hand.

>- At the present time, APS seems to be a very good film for vacation's
>photographers and will be the go-between chemical and numeric photography.

For that it sounds like a good idea. I just don't like the prospect of film
prices going up. Maybe they won't if they emulsions are the same.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier
NPPA Job Information Bank Chair
Region 11

Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal"

T. S. Eliot