To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: NY Times 100 years of pictures
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:44:29 -0500

As a result of numerous messages for the past few days on here as well
as on some photography lists I read, I set out this week to get a copy
of last Sundayıs NY Times. The magazine section was devoted to 100 years
of pictures (50+ pages).

I have now looked through it all and read most of it. The text is by the
Times picture editor. Since there has been so much on the NET this week
about this magazine I thought it deserved some attention.

About four comments come to mind:

It is wonderful to have that much space devoted to a single topic and
especially satisfying to those of us interested in photography to find
our favorite area of interest covered.

Such coverage focuses attention on photography as an historical record
and as an art form, and such recognition is beneficial.

I was brought up so short by an early comment from the author that it
made me question the accuracy of her other statements and observations.
In discussing the value and beauty of black and white compared to color
photography she wrote that there were no high-quality color films
available until the 1960s. This is completely absurd and brings to mind
each generationıs dismay about younger generations and their belief that
nothing of importance happened or was invented before they were born.
The writer obviously either never saw or does not know about Kodachrome
from the 1930s, the mainstay of long-lasting, high quality color film.
Granted it was slow and a bit contrasty, but it made beautiful pictures
that have not faded and are still in use today.

The last comment refers to the many references on the NET this week
about this NY Times document as if it contained the best photographs of
the last 100 years or that it is a solid photographic documentary of the
last 100 years through photography. Neither is the case. The Times
magazine is, in my view, a collection of photographs that was easily
available to the newspaper and which were made over the last century.
(You may have already realized that the Times is celebrating its 100
birthday in present form.) There is a vast difference here. Many of the
pictures are good. Very few are great I feel. Most are simply old. The
George Tames (bless his soul) photograph of President Kennedy in the
Oval Office is one of historyıs memorable documents of JFK or of any
other president. It should be there and was, most likely because it is a
wonderful image and also because George was a NY Times staffer and the
picture could be used free. Sam Falk was a good but not great NY Times
photographer. There are far too many of his pictures, not because they
are important or memorable, but because they are in the files and free.
I personally admire Salgado and consider him to be the best or among the
best few working photographers today. His image on the magazineıs cover
is nowhere near his best. It is most likely there, as are others from
one article of his, because he did the pictures on assignment for the NY
Times.

I mention all this not to diminish any credit due the Times for putting
together such a large work on photography but to point out the realities
of the marketplace. These are not this centuryıs best photographs or
even a good cross-section of important images. They are apparently are
what were conveniently and inexpensively available to the Times. Donıt
look for many of the great names of this centuryıs photographers or for
some of the familar or preferably unfamiliar work they did. This
coverage is more like an album than 100 years of good of great
photography. Itıs nice to have, but it could have itself been a
collectorıs item.

Fred Ward

Replies: Reply from Wolfgang Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu> (Re: NY Times 100 years of pictures...)