To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Fred Ward's earlier posting.
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 12:16:42 -0400 (EDT)

	I wish that I had kept a copy of the posting that Fred sent that
started all the haggling:  when I read it, I found nothing offensive in
it and found it to be very much as he described it in his posting today,
that is, as a relatively inoffensive attempt to voice some opinions on
the direction that the discussion had been taking concerning the best
of Leica's best equipment.  It seemed to me to contain all of the
appropriate qualifications, noting that these were only his own
opinions.  I was, quite frankly, stunned by the amount of vituperation
that followed and which seems to me to have been based on a real
misunderstanding of his original posting.

	I have no interest in bashing those who attacked him:  as someone
who works in the Arts at a university, I am well aware how difficult it
can be to be sure that you have properly grasped the implications of
something that someone else has written.  EVERYONE gets such things
wrong sometimes.  While his posting today tells me that I seem to have
grasped his original intentions and sentiments accurately, there may well
have been ambiguities in the way things were phrased that neither I
nor Fred noticed.

	Still, after all the bashing, I think that it is important to
say publicly what I gather many people, including myself, have been
saying privately to Fred:  I did not find that his original posting
expressed any of the unpleasant views attributed to him.  I really think
that those who were angered by his comments misunderstood them:  they
were, in philosophical lingo, attacking a "Straw Man".  I, for one,
hope that Fred will continue to participate in the group.

Let's try to keep it friendly, eh!
Gary Toop

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: NY Times 100 years of pictures)