To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Reflections from a new M6 owner
From: beamon@primenet.com (Roger L. Beamon)
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 18:06:40 -0700 (MST)

>> Anything else I should know about ?
>>
>Leave that clear plastic protector on the base plate. It harms nothing
>and protects the base plate.

I even remove that clear plastic, since I use Really Right Stuff plates on
the bottom of my M6 & R7 to couple to the Arca-Swiss Quick Release on my
Kaiser Ball Head. Yes the camera base plate will show some marks over time,
but the marriage between the plate and the base plate is more intimate w/o
the plastic protector. Bryan, at RRS, is adamant about having nothing
between the plate and the base plate, and I agree with him. The plastic
protector adhesive can get a little bit squishy when subjected to the force
of the cinched down plate. Besides, a little brassing on black bodies gives
the product a look, not unlike the scars and blemishes of a fine leather
wallet or handbag after years of service.
       --
       Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                                 Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum