To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Reflections from a new M6 owner
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 22:19:49 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>

I was the one who started the "fuss over loading":  I had a fair amount of
trouble with the "quick-load" plate on my M4 and called Leica, who
recommended I clip the film a la thread-mount cameras, and it worked like a
charm.  Never regretted selling the camera, though:  the M6 is a true
improvement in every regard.  The M6 doesn't seem to need this clipping:
thanks to the LUG, I've been shooting away with short-leader film lately
with no problem.

As to the baseplate, the REAL M6's (Wetzlar, with the Leitz engravings) have
the cassette locks on them.  They didn't get taken out, I believe, until
production shifted to Solms.  Mine has 'em, and I use cassettes all the
time.  Also, the motor winder has the cassette lock-outs, so even a newer M6
can use cassettes if the motor winder is in place.

Marc

>> Any recommended gadgets ? (like the M-grip ?)
>
>I find a visoflex II or III to be very handy. Since I bulk load, Leica
>cassettes are handy, but you'll have to replace that M6 baseplate.
>

>> Regarding the whole "I-sent-my-strap-back.... etc etc etc" thing...
>> Personally, the strap that comes with the camera is a bit uncomfortable. Is
>> the wide strap (advertised by Tamarkin, etc) any better ?
>
>Don't know about that wide strap. I like the M6 strap enough to have
>gotten them for my M2 and M4 also.
>>
>> Anything else I should know about ?
>>
>Leave that clear plastic protector on the base plate. It harms nothing
>and protects the baseplate.
>
>--
>Ken Wilcox                          wilcox@umcc.umich.edu
>Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits