To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: "Really right stuff" plates?
From: beamon@primenet.com (Roger L. Beamon)
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 20:05:23 -0700 (MST)

>I wonder if you might offer an explanation as to what exactly these
>wonderfully named plates consist of?
>        I use an Arca Swiss B series head with the Arca plates but as much
>as I'm more than contented with this set up for my 120 rig, with the M
>equipment I always feel like I'm mounting a pea shooter on a Panzer. I'm
>also not too fond of having the plate stuck to the bottom of the Leica in
>any sort of permanent fashion as it spoils the handling when not using the
>tripod.
>Thanks and yours in curiosity,

Love the analogy, Jae. That is exactly what it appears to be like. Far
better to feel that way, though, than to feel as if your mounting a cannon
on soda straws. It may look funny, but the lovely images that come from a
rock steady set up are worth the amused looks.

Bryan, the proprietor at Really Right Stuff, seems devoted to making the
most custom type plates to best take advantage of the functions of the body,
yet, not be in the way and not require the plate to be removed for any
operation i.e. film loading or unloading. Structural integrity, large mating
area with the bottom of the camera or motor drive are hallmarks of his
plates. Whereas the Kirk plates are probably as well made, there are not as
many models, thus many do multiple duty among many cameras. RRS makes, if
possible, a plate to be the very best mate to the camera in question.

For example, the plate that fits Leica M6 and other Ms, has the neatest
channel cut in it so that the bottom can be removed w/o removing the plate
when changing film. Kind of like a good routing job in wood. The plate for
the Canon EOS 1n with E1 Power Booster has a radiused flange that makes the
most intimate contact with the bottom of the booster imaginable. Competitive
plates merely have a right angle flange that mates up fine, but the RRS
plate inspires confidence.

Granted, these plates do increase the bulk and weight of the shooting
package, but after a while you become accustomed to it. Some with large
hands may even prefer the extra holding area offered.

Lastly, he puts an extra bolt in the channel that mates with the QR on the
tripod head. This prevents the camera from tumbling off the QR if you have
forgotten to tighten the rails to the QR when you flip the camera over to
vertical shooting position. (This assumes that you flip to the same side
whenever you shoot vertically. You could lose the camera if you flip to the
other side w/o tightening.)

I only have experience with Kirk and RRS plates, so can't comment on others.
       --
       Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                                 Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum