To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: lab problems.
From: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 17:16:57 +0200

>	I have heard many different stories about the films/developers that
>HCB used over his career - D-23, HP3, etc, but never about Isopan.  I would
>be curious to learn a little more about his darkroom technique as it
>seemed to do a great job of bringing out the best in his lenses: does
>anyone know a source of this information?

As far as I know he stopped doing his own darkroom work already in the 1930s. He has said in many interviews that he's only interested in taking the photos (i.e. clicking the shutter at the "decisive moment"), not in what happens afterwards. He had his films developed by several professional labs, and his prints were usually made by Pictorial Services in Paris. I can't remember the name of his special buddy there right now, but he was mentioned some days ago in this group in a message about "A propos de Paris".

>From what I've read and from watching the "Contacts" video about him I understand that he has used many different films during his career. I remember HP3, HP5, Tri-X, and also some Agfa films. Anybody there with more specific information about the films he used?

Bye, Edi.