To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: leica's G1 rival
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:22:17 -0400 (EDT)

	I don't see why, if Leica is producing a G1 rival, it couldn't
use the M series mount and have through the lens metering and
focus-assist, so long as it is not auto-focus:  that would make it like
the Contax RX and would mean that you would have to turn the lens until
something beeps or lights up.  That would mean that you could use the
current M-series lenses on it.  Who knows, perhaps Leica will even come
up with a way to use the current M-mount and have autofocus, by using a
small motor in the lens.  Either way they could also have an
electronic shutter and metering like the G-1 and a motor drive.  If they
can squeeze it all into a small enough body and keep the size down, they
could produce something that compete very nicely with the G-1 and
provides a kind of replacement for the CLE.  If it they can increase
their market share without substantially cutting into their market for
the M-6, I would be all for it.

Any thoughts?  Am I missing something?
Gary Toop

SNIP