To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, ewelch@gp.magick.net
Subject: leica's G1 rival
From: Mark_Bishop@ipc.co.uk (Mark Bishop)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 22:27:16 +0100

Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> wrote:

>You are absolutely correct that Leica is coming out with a competitor to
>the G1. They have unofficially acknoledged it through several different
>people I know who have contacts inside (including a major magazine
>editor.) BUT, they are emphatic that this camera will not replace the
>M6, or the M7 which is years off. And they just refuse to talk, or
>speculate on what the M7 will be like.

I am intrigued. You say that Leica will be bringing out a G1 rival, that this
will not *be* or *replace* the M7, which is *years off*. Is it fair to deduce,
therefore, that Leica's product plan looks like this:
1  M6 continues in production for some while, eventually being replaced by an
M7;
2  A new camera, which competes with the Contax G1, will come out fairly soon -
possibly Photokina???
If this is true then logically it implies that the G1 rival will not use the M-
series lens mount, ie it will almost certainly have autofocus and achieve this
through the lens not, as the Contax AX does, the body. I think this is a pity -
as the poster of the original message which said that I briefly owned a G1
outfit when they first came out but sold it in disgust, I have to say that the
biggest problem with that camera for me was the primitive, inaccurate and noisy
autofocus.

Replies: Reply from Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca> (Re: leica's G1 rival)