To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: leica's G1 rival
From: ewelch@gp.magick.net (Eric Welch)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 96 10:45 PDT

>>  Who knows, perhaps Leica will even come
up with a way to use the current M-mount and have autofocus, by using a
small motor in the lens.  Either way they could also have an <<

That's the whole problem. They gave up the self-timer to put a meter in
the M6. There is no way they're going to produce lenses the size of the
M lenses and motorize them. The Contax RX idea, of focus assist is a
good one (but no beeps please! Very unLeicalike if you ask me!), if they
can find a place for not only the electronics to run it, but another LED
in the viewfinder. And the focus detector as well.

The Contax G-1 is the perfect example of why I don't think Leica will go
that way. It's got too many compromises, and weaknesses to justify
autofocus, built-in motor and all that other stuff. The viewfinder is
horrid, it's noisy and the AF takes forever after you press the shutter
release.

--
Eric Welch ewelch@gp.magick.net
04/19/96 10:47