To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Phillistines who own Leicas (fwd)
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 13:34:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Eric Larsen wrote:

> I've taught people photography.  If you teach someone who knows *nothing*
> about photography, teaching the Zone System is a snap.  You simply tell
> them how a light meter works, how to judge a scene, and when to over or
> underexpose.  These students will never have an exposure problem in their
> lives.
>
> It's the ones who already "know photography" that can't believe the Zone
> System works.  They always try to "second guess" and screw things up.

	I've had exactly the same experience explaining the Zone system
to friends who like to take pictures, but know next to nothing about the
mechnics of the process.  In 1 hour over breakfast I managed to explain
it to a friend who was amazed at the simplicity of the process:  it
cleared up many confusions for him.

	It's my impression that it is its very simplicity that throws
some people who have been photographing for years:  I have also found
that _some_ people who know a fair amount about photography have a hard
time with it.  When I first had it explained, my principle feeling was
one of regret:  I couldn't believe how much time and and how many
pictures I had wasted through not understanding properly what I was
doing.

Gary Toop