To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????
From: hartmann@interaccess.com (Nicholas Hartmann)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:54:37 -0600

>> why screw around with Canon and Nikon when cheap Zeiss lenses are
>>available?  Of course, (sigh) there ARE folks who like dim, low-contrast,
>>fuzzy pictures ... <<

Wait a minute. Last weekend I picked up, for a relative song, a screw-mount
Nikkor 35 mm f/1.8 lens, nicely coated no less, along with a screw mount to
M bayonet adapter. To my amazement, this combination not only focuses
correctly on my M4 at every distance I've tried, but yields negatives that
remain sharp and clear at the center down to f/2. Things do get a tiny bit
sloppy in the corners below f/2.8, but the price differential from a 35
Summicron M is so great, and I am so unlikely to use this lens anywhere but
outdoors and occasionally at that, that I'm satisfied.

-- Nick