To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Phillistines who own Leicas
From: hartmann@interaccess.com (Nicholas Hartmann)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:02:37 -0600

>> I realize it's NOT the cameras. HELP <<

Here's a suggested procedure:

1. Find a camera shop with a decent stock of used equipment, and buy
yourself a cheap used light meter that reads incident light (with one of
those white domes on it). Get somebody to explain how it works, which takes
a minute at most, and set the ASA dial for 200.

2. Buy a roll of 200 speed color negative film, load it into the Leica, and
attach the 50 mm lens.

3. On a nice sunny day, go to the park with someone whose company you enjoy
and whose picture you would like to look at, and sit her down in the shade
with a pleasant background behind her. Take a light reading (should be
about 1/125 at f/5.6) and sit down about six or eight feet away.

4. As you engage your subject in conversation, focus on the eyes, move the
camera around until you like the composition, wait for an interesting
expression or gesture, and push the button. Repeat until you run out of
film.

5. Get the film developed and have fun looking at the prints: I think you
will be pleasantly surprised.

>> Or should I just hang it up and give the M2's to Goodwill ? <<

If the above sounds like something you would enjoy doing on a regular
basis, you won't want to hang it up. A Leica is a superb people camera:
looking through the viewfinder only covers one eye so you stay in touch
with your subject; the shutter release is so sensitive and so quiet that
you can take pictures without distracting people; and the pictures look
terrific. Once you get the hang of the equipment you can move on to B&W, at
which this camera truly excels.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself.

-- Nick