To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
From: Cheng-ping Lee <chlst13+@pitt.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 12:58:00 -0500 (EST)

> - is there a difference in film loading between the M4 leicas and the M6?
> - what are the differences between the M4, M4-2, and M4P? Should I want one
>   over any others?

Hi,

To my personal opinion, I would say the M4-2 is the BEST BUY. The reasons
are:

1. In EX++/MINT- condition, M4-2 is $1000, M4-P is $1200, M6 is $1500, and
   M4 is $1800.

2. Just 16000 M4-2 have ever been produced.(Plus 1000 gold-plate version)
   Who knows, maybe one day its price will go up up.

3. M4-2 lacks the 28mm frame line which is included in M4-P & M6, but the
   whole view window is just the 28mm frame, so the additional viewfinder
   is not really necessary.

4. Since lacking the 28mm frame line, M4-2 has the bigger 35mm/50mm frame
   lines than M4-P and M6, this make it easier to view and compose.

5. M4-2/M4-P lack the self-timer, but who the M user needs that? anyway.

As I know, never a serious collector is interested with those cameras with
build-in meter, because the meter will certainly be dead one day. This
mentions the M6's price will be *** in the future?!

The above opinion is just based on a collector's view. If you need a most
convenient and useful M camera, then the M6 would be the best choice, no
doubt at all, if the cost is not a big deal.

Hope this helps

YC Chung