To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: time to upgrade - advice sought
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 11:44:36 -0500
Cc: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)

Well, it has been my experience that the precut leader on modern films does
not function properly in the later "quick-load" M's.  I had repetitive
misfeeds on my M4 and finally called Leica in NJ, who advised that I should
use the old "long leader" trimming to avoid the problem.  I have done so
ever since, and have had no further difficulties in the film feeding into
the camera.

Commercial films were precut with a long leader until 1976 or so -- the
quick load system was designed around this leader.  Leica put out a press
release when Kodak went to the short leader recommending cutting of the film
to the old long-leader length.  This was a hot, hot issue around the LHSA at
the time and I have copies of a lot of the correspondence this generated --
interesting reading, but the long and short is that my M6 certainly
appreciates the 10 seconds or so it takes my trust Swiss Army Knife to trim
the film.

And many thanks to Mr Wilcox for his kind words about my postings to LUG!

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Replies: Reply from Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu> (Re: Film leader on M4)