To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Radioactive danger in old optical glasses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 18:01:05 -0500
Cc: cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu (Charles E. Dunlap)

At 01:43 PM 4/4/96 -0800, Charles E. Dunlap wrote:

>I remember that someone mentioned Thorium as an additive to optical glass.
>100% of natural Th is unstable. Although it also has a half life over a
>billion years, all of it is decaying, greatly increasing the radioactivity
>of a sample. Perhaps this was the scare back then.

Alas, but "back then" it wasn't an issue.  The US and British military and,
I suppose, the military forces of other nations as well, used thorium as a
common element in tank gunsights, rangefinders, and the like.  The
radioactivity didn't pose much of a threat to the wartime users as they were
but rarely exposed to it during actual combat or training.

However, these scopes were surplused after the war, and many a photographer,
birdwatcher, and amateur astronomer built a nifty addition to his or her
optical gear from such, and this would be used for thirty years or so.  THIS
was the problem.

The danger was identified, almost casually, in the late 1970's, and a lot of
warnings were sent through the photographic and astronomical media to alert
folks to the problem.  I don't believe birdwatchers have ever been alerted,
though I suppose their use of such surplus optics was far smaller than among
photographers and amateur astronomers.

I remember vividly the catalogues of Jaegers and Edmund Scientific being
filled with these scopes, and every surplus store in every town had a slew more.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!