To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: time to upgrade - advice sought
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 09:01:03 -0500

>- are thread to bayonet adapters available? If so, does it make sense to
>  get any for my current lenses? (I've got 5; it seems a pity to put them
>  all out of service.)

Yes they are available. There are three different ones for different
len/camera combinations. Using the correct adapter will assure that the
correct brightlines are displayed in the finder.

I sometimes use my screw lenses on my M cameras. One advantage is the small
size of the screw lens. My 28mm Summaron on an M6 is quite pocketable,
while the 28 Elmarit is rather large.

>- is there a difference in film loading between the M4 leicas and the M6?
>- what are the differences between the M4, M4-2, and M4P? Should I want one
>  over any others?

do not. The M4-P and M6 have frame lines for six lenses, the M4 and M4-2
for only 4. (Personally I prefer the M4's four lines to the M6's six. Less
clutter)

>- If I get an M6, it seems that  I'll be spending on the order of $700 more
>  (on the used marked) to get a camera with a built-in meter. It's handy for
>  the times I'm too lazy to carry a spot meter, but is it accurate and easy to
>  use? Do you find it indispensable?

The M6's meter is s semi-spot and quite good. When I'm using the M6, I
rarely use another meter. My slides are always well exposed. I do not find
it indispensable, as I am used to shooting both screw mount and earlier M
cameras, but I do find it handy.

Cheers!

kw

----