To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: The new 50/2.8 Elmar
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:23:41 -0500

I've been using the original collapsible 50mm Elmar for about 6 months and
have done some casual comparisons with my new 50mm Summicron.  In every case
I can hardly see any difference on Provia 100 slides under an 8X loup, and
with 11X14 Cibas printed with an APO Rodagon.  Like listening to two
audiophile amps and trying to choose between them.

I picked it up last year as a travel lens, for use when all that will fit in
my briefcase is an M6 and one lens. Since I got it I've made 3 trips to Asia
and done a lot of enjoyable photography with it, but if I'm to only travel
with one lens, 50mm unfortunately isn't it.

So, I recently traded it in for a 35mm Summilux.  I leave on my next
business trip tonight (Germany for a week) and this will be its trial by
fire.  The total thickness is a bit more than that of the Elmar when on a
body, but it still fits in my briefcase comfortably.  I also think that
having the 2 stops of extra aperture will be useful for "steet" shooting,
though I realise that the Summilux isn't at its best wide open.

Michael

Replies: Reply from Wolfgang Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu> (Re: 35/f1.4 Summilux as travel lens...)