Subject: [Leica] Images from loaner MM
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 21:57:44 -0700

The out of camera DNG's have so much detail in the dark zones that the
temptation might be to leave it like that. I usually want blacks, so I
almost always up the contrast, both for M and MM files. M9 files have more
contrast (less DR) to start with, so are 'better' out of the camera often.
Not really better, just look closer to what you might want. In high contrast
situations the M9 files are more limited.

When shooting film I also usually try to get a long tonal range in the neg,
but then print it on a higher contrast paper. Allows me to better choose the
highlight and shadow values when I print; ie, gives me more options just
like the MM files do.

Henning