Subject: [Leica] HIGHLY TECHNICAL QUESTION?
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 08:49:43 -0400

Yes, these two answers, by Howard and Richard, are the two most "realistic".

First, there is the mechanistic answer, that the pixels are merely the
electro-magnetic storage states of the storage medium, and deletion
alters their state.  This alteration requires energy input, and you get
into the operation and physics of the particular storage media.  And
that alteration might only be the elimination of the file definition
(header) bytes, or might be the entire overwriting of the whole pixel
array to a "start state".

Then, there is the "information philosophy" side, which Howard talks
about.  Where did the information represented by that "state of the set
of pixels, which might be an image", go?  Is is now distributed into the
minds and memories of all those who saw it?  I personally don't
understand the hypothesis that "information is never destroyed", but
that is an indication of my lack of understanding.

...Vick