Subject: [Leica] 1964 World's fair pics
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 17:12:57 +0530

Cool jazz started out in the late forties on the West Coast by players
primarily influenced by Lester Young of the Basie Band, as opposed to
the sometimes frenetic style that was bebop as played by Charlie
Parker and co. The main musicians who evolved the style were probably
Lee Tristano, Gerry Mulligan, Stan Kenton and Stan Getz.  Ralph Burns'
charts for Woody Herman (especially "Early Autumn" with its famous
solo by a teenage Stan Getz) and his 'Four Brothers' sound (Getz, Zoot
Sims, Al Cohn and Serge Chaloff) were also hugely influential. Of
course, as time went by, all these differences got quite diffused...
Cheers
Jayanand