Subject: [Leica] Slobodan and Hittite -- for the curious!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:48:47 -0400

At 07:48 PM 4/4/2001 -0700, S Dimitrov wrote:
>While we were busy publicly eviscerating ourselves at the
>chalkboard, he would sit back in the first row thumbing through a
>monograph of Hittite inscriptions. I always wondered about the
>connection.

There is a dual reason to be fascinated by the Hittites, historic and
linguistic.

The Hittites appear out of nowhere into Anatolia in the mid-Bronze Age,
roughly 2200 BC.  They conquer and rule a native Caucasian people who
called themselves "Hatti".  Although the newcomers actually called
themselves "nes", the older name of the conquered people continued to
denote them through their existence.  The Hittites were aggressive
intruders into the business of everyone in their neighborhood and
maintained relatively complete records which have, in large part, survived.
 Hence, we can learn much both about the organization of their own nation
and their relations with others.  For instance, the Hittite records refer
to the Mycenaean Greeks, which allows us independent verfication of their
importance.  The Hittites are overthrown around 1200 BC in the same set of
disasters which saw the end of Homeric Greek culture and the advent of the
Hellenic Dark Ages.

From a linguistic angle, Hittite is fascinating in that it is the oldest
Indo-European language which has left readable remains.  With Luwain, early
Sanskrit, and Mycenean Greek, we thus have a snapshot of the state of
linguistic affairs relatively soon after the division of the Indo-European
languages around 4000 BC.  Even better, the Anatolian Group, to which
Hittite belongs, was extremely conservative and represents a language which
has a number of characteristics which teach us a lot about Primitive
Indo-European.

A good discussion of this can be found in JP Mallory, IN SEARCH OF THE
INDO-EUROPEANS (London:  Thames & Hudson, 1989, ISBN:  0-500-27616-1).
Significantly less user-friendly, but still interesting, is Andrew L
Sihler, NEW COMPARATIVE GRAMMAR OF LATIN AND GREEK (Oxford:  OUP, 1995,
ISBN:  0-19-508345-8).

The on-topic connection, of course, is that we are now discovering
fossilized Leica Cassettes in Hittite burial mounds, together with decayed
elements which have been tentatively identified as ROM contacts.
Archaeologists have resorted to the latest scientific approaches, of
course, and SHARPO (TM) is being employed to restore these items to their
full operational condition.   I would suspect Ted Grant, as a survivor of
this era, could provide even further light on the subject but, alas!, he no
longer resides in Anatolia and has, thus, escaped the knowledge of these
sleuths poring over the middin fields of what is now central Turkey.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Message from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Even Worse Than Scotches: IE Linguistics)