Subject: [Leica] Yasuhara T-981
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <Joseph@yao.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:12:20 +0800

Slobodan,

It is the rather poor build quality of the Yasuhara camera that lets it
down.  Like many, I had high hopes for it, and I was especially keen to see
its 1.0x finder. The reality is rather grim though:

On receiving my camera, the shutter release was jammed.  After releasing the
shutter the release button stayed down and refused to pop up.  A drop of
WD40 did the trick.  Next, the advance lever refused to spring back.  After
firing the shutter and advancing the camera for about 1,000 times, while
sitting in front of the TV, things got slightly better.

Next, the self timer was very loose, as if it were to drop off the camera
any time.  Yasuhara assured me that it was within spec.  The rangefinder was
out both horizontally and vertically.  My good friend Shintaro Yaginuma (of
black paint Leica fame) rectified this.

I have also been warned that, since the shutter of the Yasuhara is based on
an SLR, and there is now no reflex mirror in front of it, the shutter is
prone to light leakage.  Since I have not been able to put a film in the
camera (the back is jammed shut) I cannot confirm the leakage.

I believe a while back Fellow LUGger Jem Kime had also posted his negative
findings on the T-981.

The Yasuhara is made in China, and as with many 'foreign' goods made there,
you get knock offs made by the same factory!  I have certainly seen many
otherwise identical, but unbranded T-981 in China for a fraction of the cost
of the real thing.

To sum up, and much as I have said before, the T-981 was a great idea that
had been executed poorly.

Regards,

Joseph

Replies: Reply from D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg> (Re: [Leica] Yasuhara T-981)