Subject: [Leica] Some ideas for a new R
From: Ccl1396915541@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:15:04 EDT

After I slammed the R bodies I thought before I went off on my trip I'd
propose what might be a nice way to support the Leitz lenses everybody is
rooting for.  Suppose Leica called up Nikon and said: Hey, you still have the
tooling for the F4?  Ok, we'll buy it.  We'll rip out the autofocus motor
(but leave in the in-focus lights) and hook  up a Leica lensmount to the
meter.  Ought to have room for the cams once the AF is gone.  Then, Leica
calls up Cosina and says:  make us one of those cheap mechanical bodies like
you do for Nikon and Olympus and Yashica and Ricoh.  We want both a spot
meter and centerweighted in ours like the Olympus has.  We'll sell it for
$400 'cause it says "Leica".  That way folks can get started in the system or
have a good cheap spare body.   The R62 is a ripoff at the price they ask.
You get the picture.  Leica isn't ashamed to buy their zoom lenses from
Japan, maybe they should just subcontract their bodies to a good company, get
a really nice reliable modern design, and concentrate on making those super
duper lenses instead of pissing everyone off with their self destructing
bodies.

Chuck

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: Some ideas for a new R)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Some ideas for a new R)