Subject: Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 16:27:06 -0500

Bernard,

>Interesting. Do you like the 35-R better than the new 35-R, both at wide
open? I
>mean, is the 1.4 setting on the 35-R really that good?

I assume that you mean the 35/1.4-R better than the new 35/1.4Masph???  I
have had four 35/1.4 ASPH lenses throughout the years.  Two of them were
super lenses and two were not all that great (for what they should have
been)  I find it hard to say which is the best wide open.  I feel that the
pictures that I have taken with the R lens are as good as, and sometimes
better than with the 35M.  I feel that the 35R matches the 35M in my
pictures and that the R lens seems to have a little better contrast and
color saturation. However, this could be the result of better exposure with
the R8 than with the M6  The best M lenses and the R lens pass the 'dreaded
Christmas tree test!'  I can't say definitively how close the two 35's are
in quality, but I feel that they are both extremely good lenses.  For the
pictures that I take with the R8 I am very happy with the 35/1.4 and 80 and
don't feel that quality has been compromised.

The pictures that I take are usually on travels and in interiors as well as
outside.  I shoot mostly Kodachrome 200 - which seems made for these lenses.

BTW when I bought my first 80 lens the dealer also sent a 100/2.8 APO to
compare.  It is interesting that on the series of pictures which I took
with both lenses, and also the obligatory brick wall series, the 80 pretty
much matched the 100, which I sent back as I don't take macro very often.

Perhaps Pascal and Eric can comment on the two 35's and the 80.

Dick Hemingway
Plano, TX