Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R: Is It Worth It?
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 10:37:15 +1000

> On Tue, 02 May 2000, "Mitchell Halpern" wrote:

> Is it worth selling the Nikon equipment and beginning to
> assemble a Leica R kit, especially given the outrageous prices of many R
> lenses or are the quality of N***n pro lenses pretty darn close to Leica R
> lenses?

Hello Mitchell,

Gee you've asked a complex question here.  But in my view, in the end it
comes down to one issue, and that is, do you want the look of Leica
images over all other considerations?  If so, the decision becomes much
easier to make.

I have M, R, Nikon and Canon equipment.  Because I like the way the
Leica images look, the Leica systems are my default choice.  It's that
simple.  The N and C stuff only comes out when their particular
functions are needed; autofocus for sports action in the case of the
Nikon gear, and high risk use gets the Canon gear out of the cabinet
(image stabilising and light weight is also a factor).

If your Leica R system eventually includes lenses like the 100/2.8 APO
Macro, the 180/2.8 APO, the 19/2.8, the 70-180 APO, well, I don't
imagine you'll look back with regrets.

And the R8 is a lovely SLR to use, if you know how to take a photo
(which I expect you do!).

You just wont have autofocus, IS, or 8 or more frames per second.  If
you really need these for particular applications, keep a minimum part
of your exiting gear.

Happy sleepless nights!

Regards

Rick Dykstra