Subject: [Leica] Rainy Day
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 00:35:30 +0000

Wood burning has only caught on here over the last 30 years or so,
Brian. Before that, probably like the UK, most urban fires were open and
burnt coal. The risk of embers was very small, and the tiled hearth
floor in front caught most of them. However, as a child, our fireplace
had 6x3 foot heavy wire mesh fireguard with a depth of around a foot to
stop us from falling in.

Now that I have an extremely mobile two and a half year old grandson who
is showing the usual resistance to words like "Stop!" "No!" and shows an
annoying elusiveness and a clean pair of heels to my wizened
witheredness, maybe I must invest again in a fire guard for the stove.

Douglas