Subject: [Leica] A new low
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 22:39:35 +0100

Jayanand
I have only the one Rolex, but I have other watch makes too - thanks to
my addictive personality (you might remember how many cameras I used to
have). I wear it a fair bit, but tend to mind it, and certainly never
wear it in water despite the marketing hype about its imperviousness. I
use a cheap Casio for swimming. The Rolex keeps reasonable time, so
probably could use a service, but I don't want to shell out about ?800
for the sake something that seems a minimal problem. If I want absolute
accuracy, I have an iPhone.

I tended to buy watches at auction as there was one particular auction
house in Dublin that handled repossessions, etc. from the Sheriff.? I
wouldn't touch anything that didn't have papers as there are so many
fakes floating about. I got mine - a 2001 - about ten years ago for the
same price that it cost new. I'm astonished to see what they're making
now. Naturally, they'll drop as the recession bites harder and the
resulting supply of second hand ones increases. Of course, fashion
trends also dictate demand and prices.

Douglas