Subject: [Leica] [IMG] [PESO]: Dew pond in the Snow
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 11:21:22 +0100

Thanks Don.

It's actually sadder than you may think. They were on a droving route
and provided water after a hard climb up the hill as they came across
from Wales.

Since they aren't used these days they are slowly filling in. There are
the remains of three or four of various sizes. There are still a dozen
or so cattle up there, but if they aren't maintained properly  then
slowly the cattle stir up the mud and the pools silt up and they get
choked with reeds and eventually disappear A pity.

Don McCullin has a bigger and better maintained one near him:

<https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/mccullin-dew-pond-by-iron-age-hill-fort-somerset-p80137>

Not to be outdone, we have an Iron Age enclosure too! ;-) If you look
back at my picture of The Ploughman and his Team, they stand, mostly, in
the middle of it.

Peter