Subject: [Leica] IMG: Wanted for sequestering - Vlad's pal's yacht
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 13:11:55 +0000

Jayanand, having been a banker for 40 years, I have to agree about
Switzerland. Of course, Dubai, in deference to its client base, is
supporting Russia's latest mass murder, but dirty money is everywhere,
rinsed into shell companies - and even Leicas :-)

On that photo of Eclipse, I was sorry I hadn't brought something that
would have given me interchangeable lens options, but in truth the
little X100S, and use of my feet, covers 99% of holiday photo
opportunities. The next time we go, thanks to the plague, I'll probably
hire a large camera bag (a rental car) as my wife is twitchy about using
public transport, and we'll wander inland, thus giving me the
justification to bring a larger camera and a few lenses. As I get older,
I resent having to tote around heavy equipment.

On Eclipse, I see that it is beating a hasty retreat from St. Barths in
the Caribbean. It has headed across the Atlantic towards the Med where
it should pass through the Straits of Gibraltar on its way to the Black
Sea, or, more likely, the Russian controlled port of Tartus in Syria.
https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=1009613

I can't see the British Navy flexing their well pruned muscles to stop
it. That said, the yacht is registered in Bermuda - a British Overseas
Territory - so Britain has a say in what it can do, so it might try
something, but Putin might just have put one of his subs tracking the
Eclipse, so there could be an incident. If so, there may be a photo
opportunity :-)

Douglas