Subject: [Leica] IMG: The Saving of Dorothy
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 13:05:58 +0000

Thanks Howard and Don.
There's an accompanying notice beside the mural on Haigh Terrace which
explains that Dun Laoghaire local William Maher - a fireman on the ship
- and Dorothy Toppin were on a life raft after the RMS Leinster went
down. The sea was extremely rough and a wave swept Dorothy off the raft
and into the sea. Maher dived in after her at considerable risk to his
own life and brought her back to the raft from which they were rescued.
She was only 13 and, in gratitude, she presented William Maher with a
silver watch. He also received a medal for bravery. Both of these items
are now on display in the National maritime Museum on Haigh Terrace. I
must go into it again now that things are easing up.

Douglas