Subject: [Leica] NWR Bird Counting Plane
From: cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 17:30:30 -0500

If you hunt the gallery and narrative, the plane is piloted by a young woman
who was raised in a flying family in Alaska and is currently based in Maine.
The guy is a local refuge employee who is trained in counting.

They do areas in platsthat they work through and ?count?. A friend who was a
trained counter told me the technique that they has to practice at home
during training was: Don?t count. Drop popcorn on the rug. Guess how many
there are. Count the kernals. Toss popcorn on the rug. Guess the number.
Count the kernals. Repeat. Repeat. One of the takeaways was that the
inexperienced usually usually guess low by a large margin.

We were joking with the guy counting on this plane about someone distracting
him and how often he had to say ?Damnit, go back around, lost count.? He
said that doesn?t happen, but did mention a recent heavy count on Pea Island
that was almost done when a bald eagle flew low over the impoundment and
scattered all the bird making him start over. A clicker could not begin to
count the tens of thousands of snow geese and tundra swan he will count in a
given day.

ric