Subject: [Leica] IMG: Arnhem, 2004
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 20:56:27 +0200

I just realised that this week is the anniversary of Operation Market
Garden, the attempt by British and US forces to gain control over the Rhine
bridges and thus advance into western Germany. Although as a by-product a
couple of notable Dutch cities, Eindhoven and Nijmegen, were liberated, the
operation was ultimately not successful. About 2000 Allied pilots and
soldiers are buried in the village of Oosterbeek near Arnhem, and when I
lived in the Netherlands between 2003 and 2007, I used to go to the cemetery
to pay my respects. The first time was on the 60th anniversary of the Battle
of Arnhem, in September 2004. I posted these photos in my weekly blog for
that week, but it is now 17 years ago, so it seems a good time to share them
again. I always found these visits to the cemetery very moving.

Some veterans come to visit:
http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt1.jpg

A Polish pilot serving in the RAF:
http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt2.jpg

Paying respects to comrades who did not survive:
http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt3.jpg

A face:
http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt4.jpg

Jewish pilot: