Subject: [Leica] IMG: La Vuelta in Jijona
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 21:46:22 +0100

Definitely you are missing something, Jayanand, but I think interest in
cycling is fostered by actually doing it, or having some connection to
it through either a family hero or a local or national hero. I had
little interest in it until I (a reasonable runner at the time) was
persuaded in 1983 to do a charity triathlon for the Irish Cancer Society
which involved a swim in the west of Ireland, a cycle across Ireland to
Dublin and then the Dublin City Marathon. It seemed a reasonable
undertaking, as I had swum competitively, run competitively, and sure
hadn't I cycled a fair bit as a kid, so no real problem then?

I soon found out that running, no matter how quick I was normally, was a
totally different issue after a hard cycle: my legs were like jelly
after getting off the bike, and the only solution is like most things -
practice and better equipment (think photography). Bikes are as
addictive as cameras (and probably heroin, but I haven't tried it) so
you now know what I mean. There is nothing as seductive as a nice piece
of equipment in your hands - or between your legs. I'm a fan of cycling
ever since, and have several bikes.

So going out in the baking heat to watch your heroes is perfectly
logical to me, just like I'd go out to see Martin Parr, Steve McCurry,
Salgado, etc if they were doing a shoot in Dublin. I might even cycle.

Douglas