Subject: [Leica] IMG: La Vuelta in Jijona
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 22:38:24 +0100

Jim, the tyres are generally all the same, but the rims that hold them
can be got in different aerodynamic profiles. The deeper the rim the
more aerodynamic it is. The choice of the various profiles are left to
the rider and varied according to the type of stage.? On a tough
mountainous stage like the one shown in Nathan's pics, a slick profile
is not that important if you're a good climber, but if you're not a good
climber, but rather a brave descender, you can claw back time on steep
descents, so a more aerodynamic rim might pay off a little, both
psychologically, and in actuality. However, the shorter spokes reduce
shock absorption and can make for a less comfortable ride.

Watch what happens at 1 min 15 secs in this video of yesterday's stage
of the Vuelta to see why shock absorption is fairly useful!!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS755VYjNTY

Douglas